Thursday, October 9, 2008

Is This Supposed To Be Fun?

So I have to say that all of the preparation for this trip is not very fun. I did get everything taken care of for my passport and received it in the mail last week. I was glad to get that taken care of since I can't go forward without it.

I also sent off all of my letters requesting donations last week. So far, the people who have responded have been VERY generous and I have been very touched by their kindness. Although I still have a long way to go (about $3200.00) I really appreciate the donations that have brought me that much closer to my goal.

I have also set up an appointment with the Health department to get my required immunizations. I can't believe how much they charge for those things. The immunizations themselves will be close to $500.00! And then to boot, they charge an extra $50.00 just for an appointment to get them. What a rip off! I guess you can't take the risk of getting these diseases, but my goodness, it's expensive! I have to show proof of them in order to get my VISA so there is really no way of getting around it.

Anyway, since the next 3-4 weeks is when everything needs to get paid for, it's money that is obviously stressing me out. However, after this phase is over, I will put my focus and energy into packing and getting things in order for the actual trip. I hope that it will be more enjoyable than this stage of the game.

I have to say, I know that regardless of the stresses and sacrifices involved that it will all be worth it in the end. I just want it to get here soon so that everybody can start seeing the fruits of this labor.

Anyway, thank you again to all of you who have been so supportive of this cause. It really does mean a lot.

---Allison

1 comment:

Ty and Ber said...

What a rip! I can't believe that they cost so much. I guess that is a fraction of the cost that you had to spend to treat any of the diseases that you could possibly contract there. Man you are going to have some sore arms when you are done with all your shots.